I knew I had printed the right templates, so this should have worked. Then I realized what I did. If you check out the picture of the back you'll see it, too. I was doing the paper piecing the right way...sewing with the lines up and the fabric on the back. But I felt that it was easier to see and I was more accurate if I sewed it with the fabric on the same side as the lines. If only I had realized I was making everything backwards.
I think I may just leave it and let it be a reminder that everyone makes mistakes. However, I wouldn't be shocked if I wake up some morning and just tear the whole thing apart and fix it either. I could even keep the two halves and just add to them, then I would have two of the flying geese patterns.
I am, no matter what, going to be making this block again sometime soon. Just because it is such a beautiful block and I want to get it right. I am thinking it would be gorgeous if I scaled the pattern to be larger and used it as a wall hanging.